Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Welcome to my little corner of the world.....

So I have been encouraged lately to start my own blog... I really have no clue on how to go about this! But here goes!

Let's see, a bit about myself to kick things off.. My name is Christina, but I usually go by Christine or Chris... or whatever happens to be shouted at me at any given time.. I've been married to my husband, David, for almost 18 years. No children, but I have a small farm with 3 horses, 4 barn cats, 24-28 chickens (I have recently had some strays arrive.. more on that later) and 4 dogs.  I currently work at the Spinning Bean Cafe and also at Obessions Beads... I love both my jobs! They are so vastly different from each other and that keeps me from getting bored.



I try to live a healthy, green lifestyle and have grand dreams of living off the grid and almost totally self-sufficient.. but those are grand dreams and little more at this point. I have the chickens for their eggs.. and the joy and hilarity that ensues watching them run around the yard.. and I garden to some extent for our produce. I hope to start preserving more and more and eventually having only MY canned goods in the pantry.

One of my true passions is jewelry making. Although I really only got started in the last year, I find that it is just the place to let my creativity flow. I started just making simple pendant necklaces and have recently became quite addicted to bead stitching. I just love watching a pile of beads (or multiple piles!) turn into a beautiful piece of jewelry!
I joined the Beading Babes a few months ago, which is a WONDERFUL group that was started by Karyn over at Releases by Rufydoof . This group has really helped me expand outside my comfort zone! We pick a new project, (or two!) each month and then have a reveal date. There is no pressure to complete by the deadline and we all encourage one another along the way. The reveal dates are SO fun to look forward to! It's always a great treat to see the different interpretations of each piece!


This is Sleek In Silver, one of our latest Babes projects. I LOVE how this looks! I have plans for a few more in different colors as well :)

 This is Camelot Cross, also a Babes project. Again, I've done about 6 of these already and LOVE them! I keep thinking up new color combinations to work with...
 This is called Egyptian Cuff and is totally worth all the work I put into it! Right angle weave was one of the first techniques I learned but I  Could. Not. Make. It. Work! FINALLY something clicked in my brain, it all made sense and I quickly worked up the rest of the bracelet. I love it! Again, I already have some color combinations in mind for more....

And this little beauty is a pendant I made from a 'glass window' made by Susan Waters, a local glass artist in our area. She makes BEAUTIFUL pendants and ornaments and bud vases and more and more! These little windows she wraps in polymer clay with a photo behind them.. the minute I saw those I KNEW they had to be beaded!! So I bought a few from her and this is my first attempt. I really LOVE it! I plan to stitch a herringbone necklace to suspend it on.

Ok.. so IF I haven't bored you to tears yet... please Follow me on my journey through life, gardening, horsing around and Beading!

4 comments:

  1. Good start to your blog! I'll keep an eye out for more. Love your window beading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful to see you have a blog now...I can't wait to read more posts!

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved getting to know you! And that tree pendant is amazing! I look forward to so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! The tree pendant was FUN! It was one of those things that I knew I HAD to create.. as soon as I got the windows I couldn't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete